Monday, May 2, 2011

pure and simple veggie soup...


I'm off The Cleanse!  Whew!
That was a challenge.  But I did it, and I felt (and still feel) GREAT!
Today, I'm on day 4 of the MAX Phase (go here to see my previous
post if you haven't a clue as to what I'm talking about),
and day 14 of the 24-Day Challenge.  I've never felt better!

I ended the 10-Day Cleanse with a loss of: 1-inch in my bust, 3 1/2-inches
in my waist, 2-inches in my hips, and 1-inch in my thighs.
I immediately ran to the mall and bought a new pair of size 8's!
I couldn't contain myself.  If I lose more, I'll just have them taken in.
But in all actuality, I'm ok with a size 8... now, if only I could tone up the flab.  ;)

As promised, here is a (not so good) photo of me on day 1 of The Challenge.


I'll try to remember to get another photo this week.

Also, as promised, here is a run down of a typical
day of eating while on the Cleanse... this was my 3rd day.
I was craving something hot and comforting for dinner, so I came up
with this veggie soup.  It's not so different from any other veggie soup,
I suppose, but to me, that night, it was the BEST THING EVER.  ;)

Day 3
Upon rising I would (and still do) drink a tall glass of chilled water.
Then, I would drink the (yummy... NOT) Fiber drink that comes with the Cleanse.
After about 30-minutes I would have a SPARK drink.  I love this stuff!

Then, it went like this...
A banana.
A glass of ice water.
About 1 cup of Low-Sodium V-8 Juice.  I guess this was my
lunch that day.  Starting on Day 4 I would have a hearty green salad
with half of a tomato and half of an avacado.  I would add about 1/2 a can
of tuna (or some days, grilled salmon) with fresh lemon juice and lots of pepper.
As an afternoon snack, I had a handful of almonds with another SPARK drink.
About an hour and a half later I had a handful of fresh baby carrots.
Ice water.
For dinner I had a 1/2 cup of hot Veggie Soup with the salad I just described above.
More ice water.
And finally, a handfull of red seedless grapes right before bed.
I found the grapes were helpful with night time sweet cravings.

Whew!  Am I glad that Cleanse is over with!

However, this Veggie Soup recipe is one that I will most definitely make again.

~Pure & Simple Veggie Soup~4 small to medium size Yukon Gold Potatoes, chopped
10 to 12 baby carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 giant (49oz) can of Swanson Chicken Broth
1 (14oz) can of Swanson Chicken Stock
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste... I like a LOT!A few dashes of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can green beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium yellow squash, sliced
2 medium zucchini, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper... or more to taste.


Place the chopped potatoes, carrots, celery and onions in a soup pot or dutch oven.
Add the chicken broth, chicken stock, olive oil, Kosher salt, pepper,
garlic powder and seasoned salt.
Place over medium-high heat, stir well and bring to a boil.
Boil for about 30-minutes, or until the potatoes are softened.
Add in the green beans, squash, zucchini and Cayenne Pepper.
Stir until blended.
Simmer over medium-low heat for about 15-minutes more.
Serve with hot fresh French bread, whole wheat bread or over whole wheat spiral pasta.

Make it a great week and enjoy this soup!
xo

No comments: