Wednesday, September 8, 2010

homemade croutons...

I needed croutons for dinner the other night.
I sent one of my homeboys into the grocery for milk,
croutons and something else... I can't remember now what it was.
He came out with milk and the something else...
said he couldn't find the croutons.
So, in that instant my mind played out a couple of choices I had.
1. Run back into the store for the croutons.
or
2. Use that old loaf of french bread I had at home instead
of tossing it out. I had been wanting to try making my own
croutons for a while now... and here was my chance.

And I must say, the roof of my mouth will never forgive me
because I couldn't stop eating the suckers... they also make a good
little snack... they were that good.
And... I'm not sure if I'll ever use store-bought croutons again.

Here's all you'll need...
1 loaf of day old bread
olive oil
salt
pepper
garlic salt
shredded or shaved parmesan cheese... optional

Go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Grab your bread and bread knife...


Cut your bread into 1-inch squares/pieces.

Toss into a bowl.

Give a good coating of olive oil... stir...


coat some more... stir.


Sprinkle nicely with Kosher salt.


And fresh ground pepper.


Then, depending on your taste buds, coat well with some garlic salt...
or whatever other spice is your favorite.


Give them a good stir, and pour onto a baking sheet.


And here's the optional part... sprinkle shaved parmesan
cheese all over the little suckers.


Pop into your 350 degree preheated oven for about
20-30 minutes... until golden brown.


Take them out to cool and enjoy.

They keep nicely in a Ziploc at room temperature for about 2 weeks.

crunch, crunch,
rolo

No comments: