Wednesday, July 9, 2008

fiesta chicken enchiladas and neapolitan parfaits...

I'm no Pioneer Woman when it comes to cooking and photography. However, I do love to cook and take pictures, and share my experiences with you. So, you'll just have to bare with me here on my photography knowledge, as I aspire to one day be as good as PW.

I made these last night and they were good. The only thing I will change next time is the amount of onion that the recipe calls for or omit them altogether. See, JB is not very fond of onions... "It's a texture thing". Other than that, he approved. And let me tell you, if I make something new (which I like to do often) and JB cleans his plate, then it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and then I want to... well, never mind.


Did I also mention that, more often than not, I like to make things that are EASY ? Don't most of us? Oh, and I also must mention, that I usually don't make up my own recipes... I'm not creative or brave enough for that. But I will take a recipe and change it up a bit from time to time.


Here's last night dinner...


Fiesta Chicken Enchiladas

1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced ~
The recipe actually called for one clove, but I love garlic so I use two.
4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded ~ I cheated here... I bought a rotisserie chicken from Albertson's and pulled the meat off the bone. Hey, like I said, I'm no Pioneer Woman.
1 can Black Beans ~ You could also throw in some corn... I would have loved to, but JB doesn't like corn, "It's a texture thing".
1 1/2 cup your favorite salsa, divided
6 oz. Cream Cheese, cubed
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 cups shredded cheddar & monterey jack cheese, divided
8 flour tortillas


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat butter or oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until tender. Add chicken, beans, 1/2 of the salsa, cream cheese, cilantro and cumin; mix well. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 of the cheese... or more if you love cheese; mix well.
Spoon mixture into each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam-side down, in a 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with remaining chicken mixture, salsa and cheese.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.


Serve with Spanish Rice and Salad.


Please don't pay any attention to my old, old pan... I desperately need new cooking ware. It's one of those things that I keep putting off. Sometimes a new pair of shoes just makes more sense.





And then, this is what I served for dessert. They were super-de-duper easy! In fact, while the pudding was setting in the fridge, I took the time to climb to the highest shelf in my cabinet, pull out some fancy glasses and wipe them out. Believe it or not!


Neapolitan Parfaits


About 9 fresh strawberries, divided
1 pkg. Instant Jell-O Chocolate Pudding mix, prepared and chilled
1 pkg. Instant Jell-O Vanilla Pudding mix, prepared and chilled
Cool Whip Whipped Topping in a can


Slice the strawberries.
Alternately spoon the pudding into dessert glasses. Cover with layers of strawberries.
Top with Cool Whip and one strawberry.
Enjoy!


xo
Ralonda

1 comment:

Unknown said...

looks yum-o :)

might have to steal this recipe for tonight!