Tuesday, October 14, 2008

amy's easy chicken tortilla soup...

Amy is one of my dearest friends. We've known each other for about eighteen years and talk almost daily (although lately she's working a new job and it's seriously getting in the way of her social calendar... *sigh*). Where would I be without my dear friend Amy? I love Amy.

This is her recipe and it has become one of my family's favorites... especially for my step-son, Jackson. He LOVES soup... especially chicken tortilla soup.

Now, usually I hold off on making soups, casseroles or comfort foods until the temperature drops and the weather is more Fall like. But there is only one problem... I live in Dallas, Texas and around here, you never know what the weather is going to do from one year to the next. I mean really, I've worn shorts on Christmas Day before. So, rather then let weather dictate my cooking regimen, I decided to make Amy's Chicken Tortilla Soup last night (even though it was eighty something degrees outside)... and Jackson was happy I did!


I usually serve cheese quesadilla's on the side... they're great for dipping.




Amy's Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 10 oz. cans chunk white chicken... or you could use the meat from a whole rotisserie chicken from the grocery like I often do.
3 cans chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken
1 can Rotel Original
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
... I omit the corn, sadly JB is not a corn lover.
Tortilla chips
Shredded Mexican cheese
*Other optional toppings
... Sour cream, avocado, cilantro, etc.

~Combine all ingredients, except the chips, cheese and other toppings in a pot.
~Bring to a boil and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
~Serve with chips, cheese and other desired toppings.

Enjoy!
xo
Ralonda

3 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

This soup sounds perfect for the cold weather we've been having!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your soup looks amazing. I think this would be a family favorite around our house. I laughed about the shorts on Christmas Day! Been there and done that.

Reeni said...

Chicken tortilla soup is one of my faves too! I live in NY now but I used to live in Arizona, I know exactly what you mean about the shorts on Christmas!